how to measure diatoms content in aquarium water

Home Community Ask Us a Question how to measure diatoms content in aquarium water

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nualgi 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Kristine
    Participant

I want to set up a small aquarium in order to determine the growth rate of diatoms before and after applying Nualgi product.

How do I test for diatoms content in water sample in the laboratory? The chlorophyll a test doesn’t seem to work because it will give me results for both diatoms and algae as they are all phytoplanktons.

nualgi
    Keymaster

The best way to count diatoms is using hemocytometer under a microscope. This way you can analyse other phytoplankton also.
    If you are estimating chlorophyll you can estimate chlorophyll a , b & c
    a+b constitute green and blue green
    a+c constitute only diatoms as chl c is present only in diatoms.
    If you are setting aquarium only for this purpose he has to add some phytoplankton or diatoms as innoculum.
    Let us know how we can help further.

nualgi
    Keymaster

The best way to count diatoms is using hemocytometer under a microscope. This way you can analyse other phytoplankton also.
    If you are estimating chlorophyll you can estimate chlorophyll a , b & c
    a+b constitute green and blue green
    a+c constitute only diatoms as chl c is present only in diatoms.
    If you are setting aquarium only for this purpose he has to add some phytoplankton or diatoms as innoculum.
    Let us know how we can help further.

Kristine
    Participant

thank you very much for the response.
    Just also want to know if the nualgi works to accelerate growth of all diatoms species or hist some of them? How much and how often should i dose to a 20 liter (mini) aquarium volume of water or will such instruction comes with the nualgi product?

nualgi
    Keymaster

Nualgi promotes the growth of all species of diatoms. Dosage is 1 ml per 30 US gallons once a week in Salt Water tanks and 1.25ml per 30 US gallons per 4 days in Fresh water tanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply. Log In or Create an Account