odd tank size

Home Community Ask Us a Question odd tank size

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  windy 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

windy
    Participant

I have a 72 gal. bow front tank, saltwater with around 50 pounds of live rock, and a ton of algae 🙁 The does chart does not account for the “bow” in my tank, I have dosed twice and still have a lot of brown and hair algae. what dose should I be using and how often? I seem to be getting different feedback from others on this. I have turned off the UV sterilizer and am running my protein skimmer.

NualgiAquarium
    Keymaster

What changes are you seeing with the two doses in water clarity or corals/fish. Nualgi is not an algaecide so it takes time to work on the algae.

How much water volume do you have and how much Nualgi have you dosed each time.

Algae feeds on light and nutrients. So good husbandry such as water changes, a good skimmer and cleaning of filter media and using activated carbon is essential to export nutrients along with modest feeding and lighting will help.

Diatoms grown through Nualgi application release O2 which helps the aerobic bacteria breakdown the organic matter. UV sterilizer will kill some of this beneficial bacteria along with other pathogens. So it restricts the activity of these bacteria. Again it is a matter of balance. If turning it off improves the tank then you can keep it turned off.

windy
    Participant

so far I have dosed, 1ML each time 4 days apart,  I think with all the lr i have around 70 gal of water including filter.  I have taken my lights off the timer and only have them running around 4-5 hrs a day. and have cut back to feeding every other day. My corals are all doing good other than a couple of small leather frags that I have to keep removing the algae from and my star polyps are not opening fully.Water clarity seems to be the same. and fish are the same, except my male naked ocellaris is no longer showing signs of ich. and female seems more active.

NualgiAquarium
    Keymaster

Sounds good..how much water change do you do and how frequently. Also what is the water temp. Do you have a large enough skimmer for your tank. What about carbon or other filter media.

windy
    Participant

I do 25% water changes, 1 to 2 times a week depending on how much time i have. temp is at a steady 79 and skimmer is rated for a 120 ( i have a 72) I use rubble rock for filter media and use chemi pure as well. ( during the time of dosing i did one water change)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply. Log In or Create an Account